please identify this insect
erwin
2006-07-04 01:17:19 UTC
Hello :-)

I found a couple of insects in my house, and I thought they were fleas
(because they jump) but they look nothing like fleas.
I'd like to know whether they live on plants (I have some orchids in the
room where I found them) or on animals (I have a cat) or on humans (i.e. on
me :-) and how I can get rid of them.
Here are some pictures I took (through a magnifier, the insects are only
about 2mm in size)

Thanks in advance !

Marc.
erwin
2006-07-04 17:33:12 UTC
:-)

I should probably add that I live in Belgium, about 60 km from the North Sea
coast, just a few dozen feet above sea level, in a house with a garden.

Marc.
Post by erwin
Hello :-)
I found a couple of insects in my house, and I thought they were fleas
(because they jump) but they look nothing like fleas.
I'd like to know whether they live on plants (I have some orchids in the
room where I found them) or on animals (I have a cat) or on humans (i.e.
on me :-) and how I can get rid of them.
Here are some pictures I took (through a magnifier, the insects are only
about 2mm in size)
http://home.scarlet.be/~jd899680/beest_01.jpg
http://home.scarlet.be/~jd899680/beest_02.jpg
http://home.scarlet.be/~jd899680/beest_03.jpg
Thanks in advance !
Marc.
ladybat
2006-07-05 19:05:46 UTC
Post by erwin
:-)
I should probably add that I live in Belgium, about 60 km from the North Sea
coast, just a few dozen feet above sea level, in a house with a garden.
I do not know if you received my first message, so I'll post it again.
I believe they are Collembola. I say that by their lack of wings, their
size and their ability to jumping. If you check with google images using
the key word "collembola" you can compare your pictures with
collembola's pictures and see that they are pretty similar.
Unfortunately I cannot say which species they belong to, you need a
taxonomist for that since they are all very similar.

If so, take it easy: they feed on decaying organic matter and surely
they arrived indoors from your garden by accident. They live in soil and
rottening wood. Hoover the carpet if you really don't like them

HTH

Ladybat